Looking back a decade
Thu 9 Jul Article 3mins
We look back at some of the highlights from the last decade at Assembly Rooms.
Assembly Rooms refurbishment project plans, funding and permissions are finalised following 5 years of planning and fundraising.
A £9.3M, 18-month refurbishment begins led by LDN architects and funded by with contributions
Heritage Lottery Fund
- City of Edinburgh Council
- Historic Scotland
- the Scottish Government and Creative Scotland
The restoration future proof the spaces celebrating the original architecture, flexibility and grandeur.
- Assembly Rooms reopens in July following its major restoration
- Hosts a range of events including the Freedom ceremony of the City ceremony for Olympic champion Sir Chris Hoy, and quickly re-establishes itself as one of Edinburgh’s top event venues.
The venues refurbishment attracts a range of awards including;
- the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors Scotland
- Edinburgh Architecture Association
- the Scottish Design Awards
- Hosts top TV entertainment show of the day X Factor
- The Duchess of Cornwall opens the Edinburgh International Fashion Festival
- STV films live debates on the Scottish Independence referendum.
- The venue is used for live TV broadcast featuring debates around the UK General Elections and welcomes back the first of many Hogmanay events.
- The venue wins a silver from Green Business Tourism Scotland and is nominated for a VIBEs award
- Riverside Studios hosts Edinburgh’s first Digital Festival as an alternative to the traditional performing arts during August
- Sotheby’s returns to the venue to host its first exhibition on Scottish art from the late 19th and 20th century
- Assembly Rooms celebrates 230 years alongside the New Towns 250 year anniversary celebrations.
- The Peers Ball, first held in 1822, is reimagined as the Alternative Peers Ball, a one night festival of music and art.
- The building is granted the Green Tourism Gold Award.
The first Edinburgh Wellbeing Festival is hosted in partnership between Assembly Rooms and Good Thinking PR.
Scottish Album of the Year Awards was hosted Edinburgh at Assembly Rooms, first time in its history that it has been hosted in Edinburgh